Allergan Data Labs is on a mission to transform the Allergan Aesthetics business at AbbVie, the fourth largest pharmaceutical company in the world. Allergan Aesthetics brands are iconic household names that include Botox, CoolSculpting, and Juvéderm, among others. The aesthetics business is ripe for disruption, and we're building a high performing team to do just that.
Our Product Engineering team has been tasked with building a technology platform to service medical aesthetic professionals and patients' needs. We just released our platform, Allē, this year to an audience of nearly 15,000 providers and 6 million consumers.
Who We’re Looking For
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will drive the development of web and mobile applications and the back-end cloud architecture to support them. You will help build, mentor, and lead a team of engineers who will serve on multiple cross-functional Scrum teams. You are self-motivated, willing to take ownership, show follow-through, solve challenging problems and deliver on promised solutions.
The ideal candidate has delivered large scale technology platforms, beautiful user experiences, and secure APIs that are a joy to use with high standards.
- Manage, lead, and mentor a team of 5+ Backend and Frontend Engineers to deliver high quality code that is secure, reusable, elegant, and scalable.
- Elevate the quality of engineering across the organization by conducting code reviews, participating in design sessions, improving documentation, and encouraging automation.
- Conceptualize and execute technical approaches for emerging systems and architecture.
- Build the Data Labs engineering brand through blog posts, culture, conferences, open-source projects, and meet-ups.
- Collaborate with the Director of Engineering to help grow the engineering team and foster a culture that embodies our core values (see below).
- You've built and scaled APIs with GraphQL, Apollo, and REST.
- Proficient with SQL and NoSQL flavors like PostgreSQL, MySQL, and DynamoDB.
- In-depth knowledge of front-end frameworks like React, React Native, Gatsby, and other similar tools.
- Proficient building cloud-native architectures in AWS. You understand when to use Serverless/Lambda, but you also know where servers and Kubernetes can have their place.
- You understand infrastructure through code using Terraform, Consul, CI/CD, and other tools.
- You've set up successful test suites to cover unit, integration, e2e, load, and security tests.
- You've worked in cross-functional Agile Scrum teams and rely on proven management methodologies.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and white-boarding skills.
- 8+ years as a Software Engineer or Architect.
- 4+ years of experience leading teams, and mentoring directly.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field; or comparable experience.
Nice To Have
- You've worked on a product that supports digital marketing, loyalty, and growth of SMBs.
- You've worked on a product in support of beauty service providers or savvy, modern healthcare providers.
- Be Humble: You're smart yet always interested in learning from others.
- Work Transparently: You always deal in an honest, direct, and transparent way.
- Take Ownership: You embrace responsibility and find joy in having the answers.
- Learn More: Through blog posts, newsletters, podcasts, video tutorials, and meetups, you regularly self educate and improve your skill set.
- Show Gratitude: You show appreciation and return kindness to those you work with.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401k with 8%+ company match
- Vacation / PTO
- An entire week off for the holidays
- Brand new MacBook Pro and accompanying equipment to do great work
- Attend a tech conference of your choice each year
- On-campus restaurant
- On-campus gym, tennis court, basketball court, and softball field
- Discounts on Allergan products
The Allergan Data Labs team is led by and comprises technology and marketing experts with experience ranging from successful technology startups to large medical corporations. Please don't be shy. We'd love to chat with you if this opportunity piques your interest.