Allergan Data Labs is on a mission to transform the Allergan Aesthetics business at AbbVie, the fourth largest pharmaceutical company in the world. Allergan Aesthetics brands are iconic household names that include Botox, CoolSculpting and Juvéderm among others. The aesthetics business is ripe for disruption and we're building a high performing team to do just that.
Our Product Engineering team has been tasked with building a technology platform to service the needs of medical aesthetic professionals and patients. We're poised to release our platform, Allē, this year to an audience of nearly 25,000 providers and 6 million consumers.
As the Director of Engineering you will drive the development of web and mobile applications as well as the backend cloud architecture to support them. You will help build and lead a team of engineers, architects and project managers who will serve on 8 cross-functional Scrum teams. The ideal candidate has delivered large scale technology platforms, beautiful user experiences and secure APIs that are a joy to use.
- Champion code quality, reusability, scalability and security.
- Drive strategic decisions relating to software architecture, infrastructure, testing and deployments.
- Sit at the intersection of Engineering, QA, DevOps, Product and Design, enabling all these functions to contribute to the definition and delivery of great product.
- Encourage the automation of anything being done repeatedly. Especially through infrastructure as code.
- Mentor engineers utilizing proven design patterns and your experience building large scale public facing software.
- Manage a robust team of 15+ Software/QA/DevOps Engineers and Project Managers.
- Take nascent ideas or concepts and turn them into high fidelity technical game plans.
- Collaborate with your peers in Product, Data Science and Marketing to deliver on features and integrations.
- Have a proven system for determining whether to buy vs build system or software components.
- Lead the integrations with and maintenance of our CRM, CDP (Segment), Data Warehouse (Snowflake) and other tools.
- Establish 24/7 monitoring of system up-time, performance thresholds and alerts.
- Build the Data Labs engineering brand through blog posts, conferences, open source projects and meet-ups.
- Recruit, interview, hire and coach a highly cohesive team exuding passion and ownership for their work.
- Care about who you work with and how work is done. We hire carefully and the entire team is given the opportunity to take part in evaluating potential hires.
- Relate to our core values (see below) and have a desire to contribute to and foster a positive working environment and culture.
Required Experience & Technical Skills
- You feel completely at home while building cloud native architectures in AWS.
- You've built APIs with GraphQL and Apollo.
- Proficient with SQL and NoSQL flavors like PostgreSQL, MySQL and DynamoDB.
- Experience building with the Serverless Framework on AWS Lambda.
- You understand when to use Serverless/Lambda but you also know where servers and Kubernetes can have their place.
- Strong familiarity with data structures, algorithms and common OOP design patterns.
- Deep knowledge of front-end frameworks like React and React Native.
- Skilled at setting up build pipelines, dark shipping and blue-green deployments.
- You've managed QA Engineers and have set up successful test suites to cover unit, integration, e2e, load and security tests.
- Preference for modern, thoughtful and beautiful UI/UX. You have an unwavering eye for detail.
- You've set up documentation systems for both internal codebases as well as public facing APIs.
- Extreme drive that is contagious, mixed with high standards for the product features being delivered.
- Strong ownership mindset with the ability to think big and move fast when presented with necessary data points.
- You've worked in cross-functional Agile Scrum teams and rely on proven management methodologies.
- 10+ years as a Software Engineer or Architect.
- 5+ years of experience leading teams, mentoring directly and developing mentorship programs.
- Self motivated, willing to take ownership, show follow through, solve tough problems and deliver on promised solutions.
- Excellent communication, presentation and white-boarding skills.
- Skilled at driving continuity across Engineering, Product, Marketing and business teams.
- You have the intellect to understand that perfect is the enemy of progress, however deep down inside you're still a perfectionist.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field; or comparable experience.
- Bonus: You've worked on a product that supports digital marketing, loyalty and growth of SMBs.
- Bonus: You've worked on a product in support of beauty service providers or savvy, modern healthcare providers.
- Be Humble: You’re smart yet always interested in learning from others.
- Work Transparently: You always deal in an honest, direct and transparent way.
- Take Ownership: You embrace responsibility and find joy in having the answers.
- Learn More: Through blog posts, newsletters, podcasts, video tutorials and meetups you regularly self educate and improve your skill set.
- Show Gratitude: You show appreciation and return kindness to those you work with.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401k with up to 8%+ company match
- Vacation / PTO
- Entire week off for the holidays
- Brand new MacBook Pro and accompanying equipment to do great work
- Attend a tech conference of your choice each year
- On-campus restaurant
- On-campus gym, tennis court, basketball court and softball field
- Discounts on Allergan products
The Allergan Data Labs team is led by and comprised of technology and marketing experts with experience ranging from successful tech startups to large medical corporations. Please don’t be shy, we’d love to have you come by for a chat in our Irvine, CA offices if this opportunity piques your interest.